Corn and Feta Confetti
This salad is a quick summer side dish perfect to group with any barbecue. This is my take on a corn salad and the key to this recipe is cooking it in citrus juice, butter, and salt, which punches up the flavor and makes it different from your typical corn salad. The best part is you most likely have the ingredients in your kitchen already! *Serves approximately four.
- 4 large ears of fresh corn, shucked and kernels sliced off the cob
- Juice of one lime or half of a lemon
- 2 tbsp of butter or cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes cut into pieces about 1/2 inch
- 1/3 cup of fresh basil chiffonade cut
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta (or to your liking)
- Cracked peppercorns for garnish
- Optional: Can be served with avocado and/or small chunks of watermelon. Addition of your favorite vinaigrette can also add a punch in flavor but is not necessary.
Place citrus juice, salt and butter (or oil) in bottom of a pan that has a lid. Add corn and simmer covered for about five minutes or until corn is tender. Stir once or twice.
Place in serving bowl and cool a bit. Add tomatoes and basil. Toss. At this point, taste and see if you need a small amount of vinaigrette.
Right before serving, when the salad is at room temperature, toss in the crumbled feta. If desired, add avocado and small watermelon chunks. Sprinkle with cracked pepper to taste. Eat at room temperature.